It seems like not too long ago I was getting butterfly’s because my wedding was just around the corner. Then a trip to labor & delivery…definitely had butterflies there. Of course I’ve had butterflies on and off most of my life. But hey…who’s counting? Then there was that time I told my wife…”hey I want to be a milkman”!
Well that was almost 8 years ago. I’ve grown some grey hair since then and learned a few things too.
Things I’ve learned since becoming a milkman:
1. Doing something you love is much easier that doing something you hate.
2. Mistakes are a chance to shine.
3. My priorities are in the correct order when life is difficult.
4. It’s only milk.
5. Poor communication never communicates what you intended.
6. Skim milk in glass bottles will freeze and break before whole milk.
7. Lettuce does not fair well in sub zero temps.
8. Not all dogs ‘love the milkman’.
9. I like day deliveries better than night deliveries.
10. Customer service and quality often trump price.
11. I can pass a USDA food safety inspection.
12. People in Berks county drink more chocolate milk than Lancaster and Chester county combined.
13. Glass milk bottles are great conversion starters.
14. Great farmers and Great customers are key.
15. Milk is our ‘bread and butter’.
16. I can’t do it alone.
Thanks Shawn, Darla and Evan for all the hustle you’ve put into this past year. I can’t do it alone.
17. Everyone likes to be pampered to some extent.
18. My kids still think I’m cool.
19. Facebook is an amazing tool for marketing.
20. Christmas will always be bittersweet.
Dear customers. Thank you again for another great year! May you be blessed this Christmas season.
I will leave you with a recent favorite of mine.
The Bethlehemian Rhapsody. Enjoy!